karen@brightsparkelectrician.co.uk

01892 531 728

01892 531 728

kitchen dining room

News

Festive season brings increased risk of fires

Accidental house fires can be caused by an increased use of heating and electrical appliances - as well as higher alcohol consumption during the holiday season.

From a Report issued by the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service  the new figures have revealed the extent of seasonal dwelling fires responded to by firefighters in Scotland, with 527 incidents recorded between December 11, 2017, and January 15, 2018.

The statistics also show that over last year’s Christmas and New Year season, 17 accidental house fires were caused by lighting – including fairy lights.

The Assistant Chief Officer David McGown is the SFRS director of prevention and protection.
He spoke out as the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service launches its winter awareness campaign to urge families to stay safe over this festive period.

ACO McGown said: “Ultimately, we want people to remember the festive period for all the right reasons.

“Christmas and New Year should be a happy time spent with family and friends. Unfortunately, we often identify an increase in accidental dwelling fires during this period.

“This winter SFRS will work closely with local communities and partner agencies to keep Scotland safe from fire and other emergencies - but as always, we need the public’s help to reduce the amount of preventable fires we might see in the coming months.

“I would directly appeal to people to check if their elderly relatives, neighbours or friends are in need of our support and to contact us directly".

“Home fire safety visits are a key pillar of our prevention work that help safeguard the public – especially vulnerable residents but also families and the wider community.”

If you or someone you know is vulnerable or may be at risk from fire, get in touch to arrange a free home fire safety visit with local firefighters by calling 0800 0731 999.

 

At Bright Spark we take Electrical Safety Seriously, and often highlight to our customers unsafe situations particularly with overloaded sockets and extension leads.

Be Safe this Christmas 2018, should you have any Electrical Emergency Situations, please do not hesitate to call us, on 01892 531728, where we can talk you through remedial action, or one of our Experieinced Electricians can visit your home or Business

Recent Articles

This company was recommended by some people on the Streetlife website. I wanted new lights installed in my kitchen, dining room and conservatory. Karen got back to me within minutes of my email and both Ian and Robin proved to be efficient, friendly and tidy workmen. I will be keeping their business card handy for future use.

Jacqueline, Penshurst

Prompt courteous service, with very competitive rates. I have no reservations to recommend this Company.

Christophe, Wadhurst

We found the service to be friendly and pro-active. We had an appointment quickly and the engineer was able to find the issue, which was not straightforward, within an hour and rewire the effected ceiling lamp and resolve the issue completely within 2 hours. Very methodical and accurate working - most appreciated!

Will, Sevenoaks

Karen and her team of electricians did a very good job in assessing our electrical circuits, modernising and upgrading our fuse boxes and ensuring compliance with the latest regulations. They were efficient and polite and, when they had finished the work, left the house tidy and in good condition

Robert, St Johns, Tunbridge Wells

I needed a job done really 'sooner rather than later' and at a weekend too! Karen came out, assessed what needed to be done and set to work straight away. Job done, cleared up and on her way within the hour! Not often you get that service! Certainly will keep her number on my mobile and recommend to anyone who needs an electrical job done!

Rosemary, Hever

REQUEST QUOTE